Purpose of the BIM Navigator Tool
The NavBIM portal is a platform under the BIM Institute, championing the development of an excellent built environment for Africa. This website portal has been developed to support the BIM implementation process and education standards within the African built environment.
This guidance portal has been designed to:
- keep information exchange working simple
- aligned to the needs of the African built environment and various education bodies and institutions.
- support private clients and procuring authorities to decide where appropriate, BIM should be implemented within projects and be guided by the project team depending the information that has been made available to the team.
- support a methodology that links the business processes undertaken during the construction of built facilities with the specification of information that is required by these processes, and a way to map and describe the information processes across the life cycle of construction works.
- keep members up to date on latest technology through training and education.
The NavBIM methodology includes standards developed by:
- BS 1192 (United Kingdom)
- Natspec (Australia)
- Singapore Building Construction Authority
The NavBIM portal is a reference document to be read in conjunction with the Project BIM Brief and BIM Execution Plan which outlines the particular requirements for each project. It is expected that the Project BIM Brief and BIM Execution Plan, is formulated by the client in consultation with the project team. The Guide can also be used as a planning tool by consultants to clarify the services they propose to provide when preparing tenders for projects.
NavBIM Portal is to assist clients, consultants and Project team to clarify their BIM requirements in a collaborative consistent manner. This will reduce confusion and duplication of effort.